Monday 13 June 2011

Review: Playing In Traffic by Gail Giles

Playing In Traffic by Gail Giles
Publication Date: 2006
Publisher: Simon and Schuster
Pages: 176
Format: Paper back
Source: Library
Genre: Young Adult, Psychological Thriller
Rating: 4 out of 5

Synopsis

Skye Colby? She's the multi-pierced Goth girl hanging around the internet cafes; always out at odd hours in stange places. All the boys call her slut puppy; the girls wrinkle their snub noses in distaste. Some people think she's brilliant, others say she's unstable. Skye is all those things, and more...

So why has she singled out Matt for special attention? Clearly, she has a dangerous agenda, but how can Matt resist the mystery and drama Skye trails in her wake? Despite warnings from people at school, Matt is totally mesmerised by Skye - She promises a way out of his dreary existence - but at what price?

My Thoughts

I saw this book quite a few times in my local library and didn't really know what to make of it, so I decided on a whim to give it a go and I am so glad I did. This is the first book I have read by Gail Giles and I have to say I was hooked from the start.

The characters are believable and I was instantly drawn to Matt. I really felt sorry for him. First of all his parents are never around, they are always working, so he's had to raise his sister Katy all by himself. Secondly he knows the secret about Katy, but can't bring himself to tell her and thirdly he's hooked up with Skye, the slutty somewhat mentally troubled Goth girl who only wants to know him when they are alone.

The story starts off a bit slow but it quickly builds to its dramatic climax. There are plenty of twists in the story to keep you hooked.  The only thing that lets this book down is its title, I can't see the connection to the story.

Overall Playing In Traffic is a quick, intense read. I would recommend this book to fans of psychological thrillers. I will definitely be reading more of Gail Giles books.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi, thank you for visiting World of Book Reviews. Please feel free to leave a comment and a link to your blog (if you have one).