Tuesday 18 January 2011

Review: The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins

Title: The Hunger Games
Author: Suzanne Collins
Series: The Hunger Games - Book 1
ISBN: 9781407109084
Publisher: Scholastic Children's Books
UK Publication Date: 2009
Pages: 454 pages
Format: Paperback
Reading Challenges: Dystopia, 100+ reading challenge
Rating: 5 out of 5

Synopsis from back cover:

In a dark vision if the near future, a terrifying reality TV show is taking place.  twelve boys and twelve girls are forced to appear in a live event called the Hunger Games.  There is only one rule: kill or be killed.

When sixteen-year-old Katniss Everdeen steps forward to take her sister's place in the games, she sees it as a death sentence.  But Katniss has been close to death before.  For her, survival is second nature.

Review:

I want to start this review by saying that this was an awesome book. The Hunger Games was the first dystopian novel I have read, and it has really made me want to read more of them.  Suzanne Collins has created a world that is both fascinating and terrifying at the same time. Out of all the characters in this book Katniss was by far my favourite.

I know she was the protagonist of the story but there was just something about her that intrigued me. Although the ending of the book was excellent the most memorable part of the book for me was the friendship between Katniss and Rue, I don't want spoil it for anyone that hasn't read the book but if you have read The Hunger Games then you know what I'm talking about.

I will definitely be reading the other books in this series as well as any other books that Suzanne Collins writes.

3 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. t took me a while to get to this book because I never saw it out of my two daughters' hands. They devoured it! Once I read it, I understood. This is the second book I have reviewed this month that had a powerful female protagonist (other being 'Graceling').

    I found the book to be well written with a fantastic pacing. Their is violence in there, but not so over the top as to be distracting. Intimate scenes are sparingly written so as not to be too embarassing (something I greatly appreciated as a dad!!) The rage against the system theme is prevalent enough to notice, but not as overbearing as say.... Ayn Rand or Terry Pratchett.

    ReplyDelete

Hi, thank you for visiting World of Book Reviews. Please feel free to leave a comment and a link to your blog (if you have one).