Sunday 30 January 2011

Review: Deadly Little Secret by Laurie Faria Stolarz


Series: Touch Novels - Book 1
Publisher: Hyperion Books
UK Publication Date: 19 Nov 2009
Pages: 272
Format: Paperback
Source: Local Library
Rating: 4 out of 5
Synopsis from back cover:

SOME SECRETS SHOULDN'T BE KEPT...

Until three months ago, sixteen-year-old Camelia's life had been fairly ordinary.  Then a mysterious boy named Ben started junior year at her school and changed everything.
Rumoured to be somehow responsible for his ex-girlfriend's accidental death, Ben is immediately ostracized by everyone on campus.  Except for Camelia.  Despite the rumors, she's inexplicably drawn to him....and to his touch.  But soon, Camelia is receiving eerie phone calls and strange packages with threatening notes.  Ben insists she's in danger, and that he wants to help - but can he be trusted?  She knows he's hiding something ... but he's not the only one with a secret.


Review:

I had heard quite a few things about this book before I started reading it, but I wasn't expecting it to be as good as it was.  Deadly Little Secret blends paranormal romance with a gripping thriller undertone.

The characters, in Deadly Little Secret, are well developed and I found myself caring for Camelia and Ben.  I have seen reviews that compare this book to Twilight, and I have to say that I understand why. Camelia is saved from a car accident by Ben in a similar way to how Edward saves Bella in Twilight, but that is where the comparison ends.

I was gripped by the story from the very first page and found that I was reading into the early hours of the morning. Laurie Faria Stolarz has written a fantastic starter to a series of novels that I know I will be reading.  My only complaint with this book was the cover.  I just didn't feel that the cover suited the book.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi, thank you for visiting World of Book Reviews. Please feel free to leave a comment and a link to your blog (if you have one).